I promise to always keep it real with you, so here’s the deal: working on the laundry room was a bust this week, but that doesn’t mean we didn’t accomplish absolutely nothing.
Sure, we didn’t rip down the builder-grade wire rack or build a fold-down drying rack, but here’s what we did knock out.
Things don’t always go according to plan.
The first thing we tackled this week was getting everything ordered. Since we’re avoiding going to the store right now and it’s a $79 delivery fee for every order, we had to pivot.
Normally, we’d go to the store 1-2x per week, picking up supplies for one project at the time. But because of the strange reality we’re currently working in, we tried to cram every piece of supplies we’ll need for this project (down to the screw) into a single order.
And man, was it a challenge. It took hours of sketching out DIY plans and googling “what do you need to tile a floor” before our shopping cart filled up with more than 120 items.
Once we finally got everything added, we went to schedule delivery. We were under the impression that it could be delivered the next day because well, that’s what it kept saying when I added things to my cart.
The earliest delivery date was 5/19, which means we’re missing almost two weeks of the One Room Challenge waiting on supplies.
Thank goodness they extended the challenge this year.
Using leftover supplies
Even though we’re in a holding pattern for the actual laundry room projects, we’re still determined to knock something out.
We had some leftover MDF from our closet storage shelves, so we decided to knock out a little linen closet transformation.
We removed the original wire shelves and replaced them with built-in white shelving. We wanted a space to make space to store our Swiffer and vacuum, so we removed the bottom shelf and added a few small shelves on the side to make up for it.
Now that our vacuum doesn’t have to live in our laundry room, we finally have space for a table to fold clothes. We can’t wait to get our hands on the wood so we can actually start building!
An extra project
Once we knocked out the linen closet, we realized we’re going to need to make room for the huge pile of wood that’s getting delivered next week.
Our garage is constantly overstuffed with wood scraps (surprisingly none of which can be used on our laundry room projects), so we needed to figure out a better storage solution.
We found these (affiliate link) lumber storage racks on Amazon that should do the trick. It’ll get the lumber off the ground and we’ll be able to organize our wood by size.
But one project always leads to another. We couldn’t just install the racks.
First, we have to paint the wall. But before we could paint the wall, we had to prime. And before we could prime, we had to get all sawdust off of it. And before we could move the sawdust, we had to move everything to the other side of the garage.
Talk about a project spiral.
But we did it. We primed and painted and the storage racks are going up, which means we’re ready for our big delivery!
Week 3 plans
Most of the week will be waiting for our materials to arrive, so we’re going to make 3D renderings and plans for everything in our space. By getting the planning knocked out, we should be able to hit the ground running when everything gets delivered.
We’re also planning on making all the little decorating decisions: light fixture, decor, door pulls. Should be fun!
If you’re hungry for some real progress, check out the One Room Challenge blog to see what everyone else has been up to during the past week!